Monday 17 September 2012

You own your own fate (10/11/11)

You own your own fate! 
You choose how to operate
You can change your world
If only you co-operate
'Tis so easy to choose what's right!
You're given the choice
You're free to choose your fate!

I cut my finger to the bone
The tendon was severed
As was the nerve!
Now I had to make the choice
Now I had to choose my fate!
Will I listen to the Doctor's sage advice?
Will I be patient and allow healing to take place?
I choose my little finger's fate!
If I am patient; if I can wait?
In six weeks time
I'll have full movement back again!

Meanwhile; the splint is annoying
it is hard and hurts; holds me back!
My wrist is not allowed to move
My finger's only allowed to move so much!
Do I lose the strength in my wrist?
As my little finger recuperates?
Do I count this little finger as
Not worth the long, long wait?
I must weigh up the balance
I must test the scales and choose
What seems the better way for me?
Patience has never been my virtue
Patience has ever been my stumbling block!

Do I sacrifice this finger for my vanity's sake?
What is more important now?
Maybe in six weeks; too late!
Such a simple little problem!
Such a simple little choice!
But if my finger was separate?
If my finger had a voice?
What argument would echo?
Within my body over this simple choice?

Little finger: I want to be strong and supple!
Wrist: I don't want to lose my strength!
Little finger: I don't want to be a nuisance but
I don't want to feel useless!
Wrist: What do you really matter?
What do you really do?
Of yourself; you are nothing!
Only with your mates are you of any use!
Little finger: I am small and insignificant to you
But I am useful too!
Wrist: Okay; you do guide my hand in writing!
You do help me stay so straight!

So it is with our lives!
We make choices every day!
But do we really think it out?
When we have that drink
And then we drive
Do we really think about?
What might happen up the road?
Do we really consider?
That we are risking our own lives!
What about some-one else's?
Does that cross our mind?
What happens when it's already done?
Some-one's crying for their loss!
Did you even consider some-one else's life?

Now look at all the other things
That you have power over!

I choose to be happy and cheerful!
I choose to be miserable and glower!
I choose to be sensible whilst driving!
I choose to let my car have its power!
I choose to be the best I can!
I choose to ignore the rest and surrender
To my negative thoughts; so sour!
I choose to be diligent and hard-working!
I choose to sit and wallow in self-pity!
I choose to keep my body as my temple!
I don't care what goes in there!
I choose to keep my lungs clean and fresh!
I don't give a damn about my lungs or anyone elses!

The list goes on and on!
This is my body!
I have the choice!
I have the power!
I have a voice!

What will you choose?







No comments:

Post a Comment