Monday 17 September 2012

Pictures in my mind

Brighton Road pines:
For many years when my girls were young
We drove so far in to Adelaide!
Brighton Road; close to the beach
Always made them screech!
"Look mum; the trees:
We're close to church and the beach!"

Now my Santiago; 4 years old
Knows the way to his home too!
"Look mummy! We're home! We're at Glenelg!

Michael was just 3 years old
Recognised the terrain and sign posts
"Hey, I know where we're going!
We're going to Grandpa's place!

Nephew Hughie; when he was 2
Saw the little house up on the hill
"Hey! I know that place!
That's where mummy and daddy
Used to live with me!"

Isn't it amazing how we recognise?
Roads and trees; homes on hills
Our brains soak up those images
Keep them safe within our minds
Then when we see them we do know
Been there before; lots of times!

Last year; the council workers
Lopped some branches
From those trees along our road
Ready for the stormy season
That was to come!
My brain was troubled for many weeks
The road was so wrong; the trees so weird!
Took a while to get used to that scene!
The pictures didn't match; those within!


No comments:

Post a Comment