Sunday 7 September 2014

Memories of Clare and Laurie Hopkins

Oh Clare I remember those days of long ago
When we'd visit you at your home
Hughie was just a little baby back then
You were the other Nana or Grannie 
My mum and dad were grandparents too
To dear little baby Hugh: Yes we were
One big happy family: living close at hand
We celebrated birthdays and Christmas too
At your lovely home in Kingston-on-Murray
We visited Aunty Betty and Great Nana too
Mrs Drogemuller: Mrs Druggie as she was known
So many happy memories come back to me
I still recall upsetting you one day
We were discussing a song on the radio
"Claire" by Gilbert O'Sullivan: about his daughter
You said you finally found a song written for you
I said yes "but she's younger than you"
You looked offended I am sorry to say
Until I explained that, that Claire was only two!
I remember your dear husband Laurie too
He asked my dad "how come little kids just come to you?"
My dad replied "I don't really know: we just get on; you know!"
I hope there was no real jealousy going on
For everyone loved little Hughie: yes everyone!

Another memory going even farther back
Was of Laurie's little canteen on the road side
In summer when so many people travelled through
There were huge long lines of cars: waiting
Yes waiting for hours: just to cross the ferry
There you had your caravan with cool drinks
Snacks to eat: chips and Slippery Sams
Ah those were the days from long, long ago
That linger in these memories still!

No comments:

Post a Comment