Thursday 25 April 2013

Dreamer

The darkness was complete. Everyone was quiet; ears straining. They all moved quickly yet quietly, walking with determination, into the darkness. Eighteen feet trod as lightly as they could.

Explosions! Bombs dropping; fire leaping; thick black smoke; spiralling up into the deep blue sky.

A lifeboat drifting aimlessly; some wounded some near death.

After many days, only one left! All the others commended to the sea.

I’ve always had vivid dreams! Even as a little child, I would wake up frightened; tears pouring down my cheeks. Crying out to my mummy; desperately upset! It is only now that I am able to understand my dreaming.
Finally there is an end to those awful nights.

My great grandparents left their homeland in the middle of the night; determined to find a better life for their children. Uncles, aunts and cousins all walked off into the night never to return for many long years. My family history is a very interesting one. How they survived to come to this lucky country will be a tale I can tell my children in the years to come!

From many very different races I am descended. From great love I am come.
The story will never grow tired with the telling. Great-grandma Lindy met and married Great-grandpa Rickard during the second Great War. They fell in love and married within weeks of meeting; knowing they might only have those few short weeks before he had to return to his duties as Merchant Seaman. I guess a lot of marriages were short-lived in those awful days. This one endured many hardships and survived the end of that Great War.

Great-grandma Lindy had her first son six months after Great-grandpa left her to return to his duties! She lived with family and got on with her life; not knowing whether they would ever meet again. He got on with his life, sailing the seven seas from port to port; ship to ship; where-ever fate led him! Only their memories sustained them. Though he was gone for ten years, she waited for his return, never giving up hope of seeing him one day.

On my mother’s side: they escaped from Russian occupied Hungary during the darkness; determined to make a better life for their children away from menacing Russian tanks and all those other hardships imposed upon them during the Great War. Settling here in Australia; this glorious “Lucky Country” I proudly call my home! I love this beautiful land; surrounded by beaches; where sunshine abounds!




I am so glad that Great-grandpa made it back to his dearest Lindy after all of those years. What a terrible state he was in after the war! But all he could think of was getting back to his darling Lindy; her long black hair; those big grey eyes full of adoration and love! These were what kept him going! These were the memories that remained in his loving heart during all those days spent drifting upon that lonely sea! These were the memories of his love that finally brought him home, a broken man! What great love! That spanned ten years and many oceans; three sunken ships and painful injuries.


My grandfather was the second son born after Great-grandpa Rickard returned from the second Great War. He saw the pain and terror that came back with his dear dad. He saw the flagons piled outside the back door. He heard the arguments and the nightmares too! Great-grandma Lindy stood by her man; doing the best she could to help him forget his terrors. She loved him from when they first met; she would love him till they died “till death do us part”! These were a part of their vows! These words they spoke to each other on their wedding day so long ago!

Though Great-grandpa Rickard died ten years after his return; Great-grandma Lindy never remarried. She could never love anyone like she loved her dearest Rickard! She would always remember his tall blonde good-looks; his big warm hands, his beaming smile! These sustained her during their parting; these same things were to sustain her love for all those years after he died!
Widowed for over thirty years her heart still belonged to her dearest Rickard!

My grandma came from this other dream. She was still in her mother’s belly as they crossed over into Austria on that dark night! Thank God the mines had been removed the week before they started their trek to freedom!
Otherwise I wouldn’t be here to tell this story! You see; my grandma and grandpa met here in Australia! Here in this lucky country! They were brought together to marry and have their great love, right here in this beautiful lucky country! Amid the sunshine and peace; no wars to mar their love!

The dear lord saw how much they needed each other; how much they would accomplish together; how many wonderful children would bless their marriage! All this was ordained before I was even born! All these things I know! How? You may well ask? I’ll tell you!

I might not be having those scary dreams any more; but I have been dreaming! I‘ve been dreaming of the most wonderful things! I believe they are coming for me! You see the first of these has already come true!

I saw my love walking down our long dusty drive way; his faithful dog at his heels! I saw his car out on the road; broken down; steam rising form under the bonnet! I’ve also dreamed of our beautiful children! Two sets of twins! Our fiftieth wedding anniversary! Our grandchildren!

Yes it’s all coming back to me! How do I know it will come true? Well our twins will be born next week! The rest is still to come! I’ve dreamt it all! I just know!

No comments:

Post a Comment