Sunday 14 April 2013

The old school yard

Remember the days of the old school yard
Cat Stevens sang of his memories
Today I thought of our old school
Children running around for over 100 years
The clothes have changed from 1900's
To the 2000's! The photographs as well
No longer do their voices  echo here!
The old school is closed now!
Windows boarded up: power off!
Signs plastered upon that fence
"Trespassers prosecuted! Keep out!"
But I still hear their voices echoing
I still remember the songs they used to sing!
I still feel the pleasure of taking them
The joys and fears of any mum and dad
As little ones attended for the very first time
I still remember the open days
And sports carnivals; the yells and screams
Of all those groups and teams
The colours of those ribbons in their hair
The noise of all those scraping chairs 
Fun and games and tears and cries
Some sad days as well as good
Yes! Those are the days remembered
By everyone who attended here!

No comments:

Post a Comment