Thursday 3 September 2015

A box full of darkness

All your life you carried that box around
Though light: it was heavier than you could bear
To me: as I looked inside: it seemed empty...
I never knew what darkness: shadows hid in there
I watched you struggle with its contents
I tried to help you lift it up many a time...
But as I could never understand your problems
The pain you carried: was what was trapped deep inside
At times we shared much laughter, happiness came
But still as time rolled forward: sadness always returned
I used to get angry at your lack of promise
I used to point the finger: lay the blame...
But understanding finally came to linger
And I knew that I could never make you change...
I tried to show you how to accept that darkness
I tried to lead you through that terrifying maze...
Showed you love and kindness: understanding came
Though I carried my box of sadness too: I knew...
That yours was filled with your demons...
You could never escape them completely...
For I watched: all those times you really tried
You grabbed at straws you thought would aid you
You tried many things to ease that awful pain
Pain killers were the first defence you tried...
Cigarettes, Marijuana, speed, Cocaine, meth came too
You tried to give up your life...so many times
I told you that Jesus loved you...
You doubted that anyone would ever really care
You always thought you had to be better first
Then that love and acceptance would surely come
But though you struggled and made slow progress
Eventually it was simply too much and in you caved
In the last few years I tried love and kindness
For I finally understood that blaming you
Was never going to be the way to go...
My prayers became my weapons against the darkness
They seemed to keep the light shining upon you
The box stayed closed for many a long month
Until some trigger opened it up once again
To our sadness: it happened regularly: ah the pain
I could not be the one to save you...

You had to be the one to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment