Thursday 24 September 2015

Drawings from 1970's

I used to draw faces all over my school books
Girls with pretty noses and long beautiful hair
Colourful dresses and platform shoes too
These consumed my teenage days it's true
Huge eyes fringed with long eyelashes
Petite noses, rosy cheeks, luscious ruby lips
Ah my imagination was doing back flips
Found these drawings amongst my old books
Thought I'd better clean out some cobwebs
Have one last look before tossing them out
They brought back so many memories you see
About that shy teenage girl that I used to be
I hated my nose, my ears, my awful teeth
So my drawings were of beauty: I wished for me
Doesn't every young girl want to change
So many things that she doesn't like about herself
Well that's what I found just the other day
My fantasy world of drawings of my early life
My flights of fancy: my desires for change
Even then there was a yearning in my heart
To be thought beautiful: to be accepted
Ah to be loved and appreciated by someone
Dreams of better days I suppose it could be
Wishing and hoping that love would find me
To be tall, slender yet well endowed: you see
I was bullied in High School by two girls
They said I was flat chested: would always be
Told me I was useless: teased me mercilessly
I believed them for I felt sad and all alone
Though I thought I had forgotten all of this
Thought I'd gotten over all those terrible days
I guess deep inside: those memories stayed
The constant need to fit in with some group
The peer pressure: the stress: the strain: the pain
All these came back to me once again
My escape was the joy I got from drawing
The dreams I had of feeling beautiful in my art
Seeking perfection in the pictures in my mind
Pouring out all these yearnings onto paper
These things gave me the happiness I lacked
In my personal: imperfect: ordinary teenage life



No comments:

Post a Comment