Thursday 31 October 2013

The raffle ticket

I agreed to do some face painting over the river
It was a fair distance to travel: over the great River Murray
I was worried as we were so broke: I'm telling you!
We really needed to make some money to make ends meet
There was a huge basket full of goodies to win in the raffle
As we arrived I must admit I looked at it & wished we could take it home
I bought one ticket: cost me one dollar: I should have taken that first ticket
But I didn't: I flipped a few pages & bought #95 instead of #92
We didn't make much money: hardly any children there for face painting
We'd made some Rocky Road as well: hoping to make a few dollars
Not much luck there either; hardly anyone came: it was the first time here
So it was a miserable few hours we spent just waiting & waiting!
At the end the raffle was drawn: you'd never believe it but it's true
The ticket drawn: the winner of the whole big basket of goodies 
Was number 92! If only I'd taken that very first ticket!
Boy was I kicking myself: yes I really was!
If only I'd let fate rule & taken that ticket waiting there for me!
But I blew it and we went home with what we came with!



No comments:

Post a Comment