Thursday 3 July 2014

Head on collision

I remember driving along the Sturt Highway
Many, many times during my life here in SA
First when I was just a little child with my family
Then later as a teenager going to University
Withy husband Tim and our "son" Kaiser
Later again as a family with my own children
Then withy daughter and grand children

In all those years the road has changed
It used to be so narrow and dangerous
Not enough room to pass on-coming cars
With safety;too scary for me as a kid

So many times there were incidents
With other cars, trucks: with kangaroos

I recall driving to the city late one night
I saw a semi coming from far away
Then as I watched; amazed; another semi
Decided to pass the first one; taking up
Both sides of the road: two huge monsters
Coming at me! No choice but to get off
Let them go through as they would
I was on the dirt: safely out of their way!

Another time Tim and I were driving home
We were at Blanchetown: lots of roos
They were every where:especially during droughts
A truck was coming toward us: slowly nearing
Just as we were about to pass each other
We saw a huge kangaroo hop between us
Illuminated by our lights: it was very close
Missed us by a few feet only: lucky roo!
Lucky for all of us too: we could have died!

No comments:

Post a Comment