Monday 21 July 2014

The Barossa Valley

I've driven through the Barossa Valley
Many times during my life, enjoyed
Beautiful scenery: stunning views
Hills, trees, all the lush greenery

As a little child my dad would drive us
There was no bypass back then
Just those beautiful winding roads
It was a wonder to behold for me

Looking at everything: taking it all in
My imagination would run wild
So many possibilities back then 
Seeing everything through a child's eyes

I remember Angaston's Moreton Bay fig trees
Tanunda's rock gardens at the Gawler end 
The swimming pool at Nuriootpa
The shopping and amenities

Then as a teenager travelling on the bus
To Adelaide: going to the University
I always wished I could live there one day
Yes: these imaginings appealed to me

My family lived in Sedan for 26 years
My children grew up in the nearby area
Taking the bus up the hill to the high school
Meeting with friends or just hanging out

After so many years of shopping and living there
It now seems so strange to be leaving
I will miss all those friends I've made
I will miss all the back roads and hills

I will miss all the beautiful landscapes 
All those huge Eucalyptus trees full of birds
All the grape vines in between the towns
Those pleasant drives up to the lookout

But the good thing I suppose is that
Adelaide is not so far away from the Valley
I am still able to drive there now and then
To get my fix as it were of all that beautiful greenery







No comments:

Post a Comment