Thursday 3 July 2014

The scones

I was just a little kid so long ago
We visited our family friends 
We had so much fun playing
Had a great time I'll let you know!
We went to Glossop to see our friends
Their mum was baking scones that rainy day
My Uncle was already there when we arrived
He just sat and listened as we chatted and played
When the scones were ready: he declined
We thought he was just being silly 
Because they were yummy I'm telling you!

Many long years later my Uncle told us
How he was watching those scones as
They were being started: just being made
Our friend's mum had a cold: a runny nose
And as she went on baking those scones
She'd wiped her nose and continued on
Never even breaking her stride and
We were kept in the dark by my Uncle
He never told a soul: just went of laughing
At his quietness: his masquerade!


No comments:

Post a Comment