Tuesday 15 July 2014

Hearth fire

I camped out last night
It was so freezing cold
I lit the fire and sat tight
Waiting for flames to glow
It took a while for warmth to come
Into my chilled body: my bones
We're frozen: or so it seemed
But finally something melted
Yes finally it happened to me
As I sat there waiting for the thaw
I felt the pain within my heart
Yes I felt so lost and alone
The same questions repeated once again
"Why did you have to go?"
"Why did you leave us here: alone?"
Many thoughts and feeling flowed
Through my cold and sorry heart
Until at last I shed a tear: lost a part
Of the memories that flickered there!
I was inside our old home: not outside
But still it hurt me to think of you
Of all the times we loved and laughed
Of all the times we cried
Yes these thoughts were jumbled
All around inside my mind
As I thought of all the years we spent
Right here in front of this fire
Cold winter nights we sat
In this family kitchen: gathered round
This place of warmth and love
Around this hearth we shared our love
Those memories will ever live within me!


No comments:

Post a Comment