Wednesday 2 July 2014

Sturt Highway

We travelled the Sturt Highway
To Adelaide and back for many years
Back in those days we listened to 5RM
The local Radio Station in the Riverland
It used to called The Highway Twenty Show then
If I remember correctly at all
We always listened to the radio
As we worked along in the cutting shed
I remember driving back to the city 
During my Uni years: I used to catch the bus
This time I was driving back with Caren Lubjana
In her little Datsun 120Y: I was driving that night
I remember it so very well: it was dark as pitch
There were a lot of cars everywhere!
As I passed a slow moving vehicle
The poor little car was struggling
I was thinking about the distance
That gap was quickly shrinking!
"Come on little car"  I prayed: "get a move on!"
Finally we got past that car: I was worried
But at last we were safe again but 
I made sure not to pass unless
There was a lot of space to keep us safe
I wasn't taking that chance again!

I've seen a lot of accidents and crashes
Along that road during my studies and later life
I am so very thankful to have survived those drives
I thank the dear Lord for my life each day 
For I understand the dangers as we travel
Each and every single day: we are so close to danger
So close to losing our very lives
Whether it be through the fault of another car
Or from our own actions: our mistakes or
A massive truck or from Kangaroos along the way
Please be careful as you're driving
Remember to drive carefully: remember to pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment