Thursday 16 May 2013

Fire-engine Red

I worked as a clerk many years ago
Just out of university the year before
I'd gotten a job through a friend of mine
She'd been working there for a long time
I found that there were groups of staff
Some were a bit uppity: snobs to say the least
They all gathered around this leader
She was a bit of a princess: bitchiness ruled here!
They had the usual schoolyard mentality
You know that sort: bullying, exclusion, nasty looks
Anything to make it difficult for others working there
One young woman always took her break alone
She looked just like any other young woman 
Just the same as you'd meet along the street
I asked about the reasons for this exclusion
I was told she wasn't good enough to join the group
So she was excluded; left out of that simmering soup
Being a loner myself I took it upon myself
To take my break along with her
Away from everyone else!
We became friends and chatted each day
Even met her hubby at the end of a long busy day
I'd agreed to look after their two dogs
When they went on holiday
But my own relationship was struggling
And I let them down I ashamed to say
I still remember her friendship and tales
About her life and some of her strife
She became the big sister that I'd never had
Giving me advice and listening to me as well
But what stayed with me the longest
Was the tale about her hair
When she was a rebellious teen
She stood out for another reason then
Because her was dyed a very bright
And very sassy: fire-engine red!





No comments:

Post a Comment