Tuesday 21 May 2013

How things have changed

My how things have changed
We used to have to wait for hours
At Centrelink: still do I suppose!
When people talk over your head
Instead of explaining it to your face!
Tablets everywhere
People's fingers pointing
Poking: prodding: typing
Numbers entered: names and dates as well!
Thank God for technology
But what about personal interaction?
What about a little understanding?
What about people asking for help?
A minute of your time
To see if he's got the plot?
To see if it's gotten in?
An extra moment to make sure 
That he understands
As well as hearing!
Poor old man next to me
Holding that phone to his ear
He didn't realize it was upside down
No wonder he couldn't hear!
He just waited and waited ceaselessly
Waiting for some-one to take his call
Finally I asked him: "is there anyone there?"
"No" he said "no one has answered me"
I took that phone and listened
Not even a dial tone on that phone
So I pushed those buttons
Redialled for him and got him his answer
Within a few minutes he was on his way
It was all done for him: no thanks to the assistant!
Thank you Lord for your assistance
On this blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment