Wednesday 3 July 2013

Thank you dearest Lord

Every child is fascinated by their reflection
Aren't you amazed at how everything moves?
How your mouth can smile and scowl?
How your eyes can squint and open wide?
Tell me that you are not fascinated!
Tell me that you don't really care but
I will know you are lying because 
Everybody likes to look at their own face!
We notice how things have changed
We notice how things have grown
How bits have maybe moved out of whack
Slipped a bit maybe: changed in skin tone
A shade darker than once long ago
Yes I have changed on the outside
Though I might feel the same inside
Though I might still feel young and free
I notice that I am no longer the me I used to know!
I have aged and changed a lot over the years!
I guess I've been wondering about life lately
About how it would feel to lose a family member
I've been so lucky I guess: still got both
Of my dear parents & my brother
I have lost two babies to miscarriage
(That hurt more than I could say)
I am often thankful at how blessed I am
How wonderful to have been born
In such a lucky country: to have had an education
To have been married & had children
To have loved and been loved!
What about all those who have been less fortunate?
What about those not so lucky in so many ways?
What about those trapped within an ailing body?
How would it feel to lose your whole face?
How would it feel to lose everything?
To then have to have a face transplant
What a miracle to survive such a horrifying ordeal?
What a blessing to have that transplant
To make your life worth living again!
Dear Lord we are so lucky to be alive
So blessed to be able to say: Yes I have lived!
And to be able to thank God because
You are still alive and able to make a difference!
With so many miracles available today
How can we not say "Thank you dearest Lord"
For first having loved us & given us life!

No comments:

Post a Comment