Saturday 17 August 2013

Red Earth

I saw a flag the other day
A big golden sun centred
Over a red earth; black sky above
This is what it is like here in Australia! 
When the sun goes down
The desert sands are red with dust
The golden sun burns down
The dark night sky is black as sin
When the day is done
Stars glow brilliantly in the infinite sky
I love this sunburnt country
And this is the reason why!

Santiago said to me just the other day
As I was sitting there crocheting
Making a blanket for a friend's birthday
"I want a blanket too but more colourful!"
I told him I'd already made him one
When he was a little baby in his mother's tum
I showed it to him & he just said
"Why didn't you ask me what I wanted?"
I don't like that greenish one at all!
Nana, please make me a new blanket
I want it all different colours of red
Oranges & yellows I want in it too!"

So I've been busy crocheting for the last few days
Making his new: more colourful blanket
Just as he ordered: reds & oranges & yellows
Just like that flag I told you of: Australian hues
Just like this lucky country we live in
All golden yellows, burnt oranges & reds
It will look so perfect laying on his little bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment