Friday 12 February 2016

Who has moved?

It's been a long day...driving through the heat to finally arrive at Berri. Air conditioners are a blessing as are modern cars... The miles fly past and time itself escapes...found a few memories as I drove around Loxton on the way through. The high school has changed...it has been over 40 years after all... The poplar trees are gone from the edge of the oval...but Gratwick Road looks the same as ever. I drove down to the river and reminisced about the Cross country running we used to do down there for sport...still remember that day when I fainted during the assembly after lunch...I'd competed in the run and missed my lunch...
Ever fainted? Felt like voices were so far away...coming closer...getting louder...
The heat was fierce today...a dry heat that takes away your breath as you try to take it in...
What would we do without air conditioning? How would we cope? Were things easier back in the 1970's? Was the weather similar? I still recall my grandpa Szabo fainting from heat exhaustion back in 1968...
In those days we had a heat wave that lasted for over 2 weeks...not like today...
We complain about the hot weather in summer...
We complain about the cold weather in winter...
There always seems to be something to complain about...some problem with everything...
Yet how often are we thankful for being alive...
How often do we thank God for being able to appreciate the gifts we are given each and every day...
I am thankful for still having my parents...
I am thankful for the many good memories that come back to me simply by driving through the old places where I used to live...
I am thankful for friendships that have lasted through the years...
I am thankful for being able to travel home to the Riverland where I grew up...
I am thankful for my children who are so very precious to me...
For my grandchildren...
For my Lord God who gave me a brain to remember all these things...
When I fainted I felt dizzy and lost all sense of where I was...
I lost a few minutes of my life when I was passed out...
But when I returned to consciousness everything was okay...
Do we pass through our lives some days in a haze?
Do we forget where we are?
Do we forget why we are here?
How often do we feel far away from our God?
Distanced by our own sadness...
Our own fears...
Where is our faith when troubles come?
Do we faint because we are so far away from Him?
Who has moved?
Not God?
He is always here for us...
But...
One day... If we turn away from Him too many times?
Will he always be here waiting?
If we grieve the Holy Spirit too many times...
If we don't repent?
How will we know when our probation is finally over?
How will we know when the books of heaven will be closed for us?
Please turn to God...now!
Not tomorrow!
Not next week!
Not next month!
Tomorrow may be too late...

No comments:

Post a Comment