Monday 10 December 2012

Family Portraits

I was looking through my box of books: searching for some poems
Couldn’t find what I wanted but I found something else
My old sketch pad; from many years ago
Pictures I’d sketched of my nieces: from way back in November 1983
Rachel in her school uniform: looks like from Grade One
Leesa from that same date: I drew them from school photographs
They were rather still and quiet: one of Samantha aged just ten
Wow! She looks just like she did back then!
Vivienne looks so serious in her starched white collar
Not even a hint of a smile!
Another one of Leesa; with her cheeky grin!
Then Vivienne again; smiling this time
In her winter uniform; laughter in her eyes!
A portrait of dear Nana; without her mouth of course
She was always complaining
“Never took a good photograph” she said
Maybe because she was always saying exactly that
As her photo was being taken!
Some of hubby Tim: even a self portrait; what was I thinking?
On the next page is a drawing our Vanessa did
She wanted to draw like mum so I let her draw a portrait
Of somebody that she could see
It is undated; don’t know exactly when but I love to see it because
She showed such talent even then!
The following page is from 1987 of Vanessa herself: 
Titled “Just before Xmas 1986”
She was maybe 6 months old: with those lovely chubby cheeks
Another of my darling girl wearing a beanie 
That Grandma made: she knitted so many cardigans as well
This one was the pale blue one: I remember it very well
Cute as a button; in that photograph
The next I recall; I’d never thought I’d done her justice;
Just seemed a little odd but today as I look at it;
 I am blown away because it could be of her little boy;
 Zecarias as he is right now!
She was almost two years old when that pic was taken
Just like Zac is right now: I am so amazed to see
His little eyes and face; looking back at me!
The next pic I drew was of someone imaginary!
Then Mark Andrew on the swing in their own back yard at Kensington
I remember taking that picture; all those years ago!
‘Uncle’ George Erceg comes next; not one of my best efforts
But it his him looking out from that page in August 1991
I did that as he was sitting there; right in front of me
I feel like I had to rush a bit; he was always on the move
Fixing up this old house; to make it liveable for our family!
Tim is next; he’s aged a bit; sometime in the 1990’s
Then I must have had a break; I am not happy with this one
A portrait of Vanessa from a school photograph
In Good Shepherd’s winter uniform;
I don’t like how this turned out at all!
Just couldn’t capture what I wanted
Must have needed to practice some more!
Little Shelley in her pretty pink dress
Maybe two years old; those big eyes of hers
I got them down pat; but I haven’t caught her happiness!
Finally a portrait of Michael; unfinished of course
Done in 2003; I’ve lost my touch here
Really need to do some more drawing; that is clear!
But too many other things got in the way
Too much to do to sit and contemplate our lives
So my little book has been waiting for many a long year
Now maybe I will have the time
To draw in a few more portraits until
My little book is filled up; full of our family
There to look back upon; our growing family tree!
(I’ve got 7 pages left; so Santiago; you’re next!)





No comments:

Post a Comment