Sunday 9 December 2012

Ode to Hot water and electricity



When my Solahart died, I just sat right down and cried
No more long soaks in my old bathtub
No more comforting lovely showers
All was lost and then the pain came
Life would never be the same!
Oh what a crying shame! Oh what a crying shame!
So it was back to the old ways, carting water in those days
Lucky ‘cos it was then winter, my old wood stove was my slave!
Bucket brigades with all my saucepans
Fill them up and start again!
So we spent that long cold winter
‘Back and forth’ was the name of the game!

The next year it was the power
The flood fixed us good again
All that water was a nuisance
As ‘no power’ was the name of this game!
Thank the Lord for all those candles
Though relaxing was never the same
Now it was ‘necessity’ that was the game
As by candle-light we bathed
Many a long month it lasted
Till that water drained away!
The Insurance had us waiting
Many long months came and went thus
‘They didn’t care” was the name of their game!



No comments:

Post a Comment