Tuesday 11 December 2012

Grandparents Visit from Hungary 1969

I remember primary school at Moorook
 A small community; lots of fun
We lived a couple of miles away
Had to walk there and back; each day
Mum and worked hard every single day!
We didn't have much; but we were so happy
I had one old Barbie doll; ancient she was
What could you expect for 1960's!
One baby doll with two little teeth, moving tongue
My friend Martha poked his teeth out with a pencil!
One doll with hair; Butch ripped half her hair out
That dog took her and dragged her about!
My grandparents came from Hungary
To spend a year out here in Australia
They stayed 4 months with each family
(Their two sons and one daughter)
They brought me a doll; I was 12 years old
What would I want a doll for? At that age?
I was disappointed to say the least
But what could I expect
Grandma had lots of grandchildren
Back in Hungary; she wasn't interested in me!
She was just so happy catching up with her kids!
She'd missed them: oh so much!
I was probably a nuisance: to her thinking!
They walked everywhere together
That was their usual day to walk the miles
 Between our homes every single day! 
They got there before we left for school
They were gone again when we got back
And so it went for all those months
I still remember the day they were leaving
On a ship from Outer Harbour near Port Adelaide
I had so much fun running around with my brother
Before the gangplank was raised
Almost got stuck on that ship as it got under way!

(On that last day at Adelaide Railway Station 
Grandma spent her last few coins on little gifts
A Koala in a little tree and a tiny tea set
I still have some pieces of that tea set
Though some have gone astray
My girls loved playing with that tiny tea set
Just like I did after Grandma went away!)



No comments:

Post a Comment