Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Obstacle Race

The only thing I ever won 
Was the Obstacle race!
I was in First year High School
I was not much good at anything
I wasn't a fast runner
I wasn't good at hurdles
I wasn't good at ball games
Or shot-put or javelin
The only competition
I truly enjoyed that year
Was the obstacle race!
We started off on the far side
Of that huge school oval
In and out between
Those tall poplar trees
Then through the rungs of a ladder
Between the seat and top
Of a great big bench
Underneath the tarpaulin
Through a hula hoop
Pushing a tennis ball
With my nose
And than finally that dash
To the finish line
Everyone was screaming
For the colours that I wore
Nobody knew my name; or cared
It was the colour red that scored!
(I was a member of Delta House)




No comments:

Post a Comment