Monday 17 November 2014

Peace like a river

We sang this beautiful hymn
At the nursing home last week
Our beautiful voices together
Rising up to the Lord
(As do my thoughts as we speak)

The beautiful tale of a father
Who missed the sailing of the ship!
His wife and two daughters
Were on board when the ship sank
Two precious little lives
Came to a sad close but
Still the sad father managed to write
This beautiful hymn to our Lord

When peace like a river  attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say
"It is well, it is well with my soul"

It is easy to feel sad and lost these days
When we lose a loved one, when we fall
It would be so easy to complain about it all
But it is so much better to praise our Lord

It is like that some days when I pray
I ask for the blessings of my dearest Lord
I ask the Holy Spirit to come upon me
Then it is that the blessed peace descends

Sometimes the words get away from me
They spill like a river: like a fountain
Pouring forth: unstoppable
When these blessings come
I have to write quickly or lose it all
Ah my dearest Lord I thank you
That you should bless me in such a way!
Please Lord: live here in my heart
Please Lord: never go away!
Amen

1 comment:

  1. When I pray I feel the blessings of my dearest Lord come flowing into my heart...ah that's the peace that passeth all understanding!

    ReplyDelete