Wednesday 18 January 2012

Standing on tiptoe

Like a little child standing on tiptoe
Looking in through the window
Of the corner lolly shop
On a busy street in the cold
I've always been the tiny one
The short one who has to be
In the first row of the school photo
The smallest one who is too shy
To make a peep and have a say
The quiet one who never gets to play
The last one to be chosen for the team
The lonely one who still has a dream!
I've always felt so lost and alone
Too embarrassed to say a word
Too little to be heard
From behind the crowd of taller ones
From underneath the wings of all the bigger kids
I was always the one with the clipped wings!
But now I will no longer be so quiet
Now I will stand up and scream and shout
Whether from the mountain tops, or just from up in  a tree
I demand to be set free! Set free from inability!
Set free from nervousness and fear!
I want to be heard Lord! To shout out loud and clear!
No longer to be trampled on!
No longer to be pushed back among the frightened sheep
It's my turn to make a noise! My turn to make a speech!
I speak up for the lonely ones! I speak up for the  lame!
I speak up for the little ones who have no one to blame!
(But to live on in shame!)
I speak up for the elderly! I speak up for the ones
Who have no other voice but silence and rebukes!
Who will speak for them all if we do not take a stand?
Who will be responsible? Who will take the blame?
Why should the quiet ones be left with all the shame?
When will the ones who do the deeds be taken off in chains?
How can we sit back when so many die in poverty?
When so many cry out in pain
And beg for help in our Father's name?









No comments:

Post a Comment