Sunday 1 January 2012

Thank you Dorothea

Thank you Dorothea; thank you Judith Wright
For showing me the power of the words you write
For all those English Lessons; for all those times when bored
When I sat so still and listened to those words of yours
Though I was made in another country
Though my blood comes form overseas
I want to tell you both how much I appreciate all those hours
When teachers read and reread your soulful poetry
All those times when I never thought I'd ever see my words in print
I thank you wholehearted for opening up my eyes
For showing me the wonder when inspiration strikes
As now  I sit and ponder about these times of ours
I realize how magical to be showered with your praise
As I look up above me and see the Southern Cross
As I see the stars shining brightly: sometimes I'm at a loss
How great the imagination: how powerful the dreams
Of those hardest working forebears: the men who came to be
The New Australian Cockies: who dreamed their dreams awake!
They left all family behind to make it to our shores
They coped with transportation: they coped with wind; sandstorms
All because they had a dream of these far distant shores!



No comments:

Post a Comment