Sunday 22 February 2015

High tide

I went swimming at high tide today
There were people everywhere
Everybody sought the shade of the jetty
Not enough spaces underneath there
I swam out to the reef as is my habit
Enjoying the coolness of the sea
There were fishermen all over the place
Dangling their angling lines for a chance
The fish were smarter: hiding beneath the waves
I could see them gliding here and there
The reef was beautiful: is it man made?
Those huge rocks look like they've been placed
Dumped there mechanically: dumped into the sea
Making that protective reef: using man's ability
To change the environment to suit his needs
Well he made the reef for the fish: they congregate
They hang about everywhere: doing their fishy thing
Ignoring those fishing lines: they were doing fine
I saw then swimming everywhere: without a care
As I returned towards the pier: I saw some snorkelers
Gathering beneath that man-made Jetty
There to my surprise: were hundreds of fish
All shapes all sizes: yes indeed: having a ball
It was as if those smarter fish just knew
They wouldn't be bothered if they stayed 
Close to the group of snorkelers too!
It was a wonderful sight to be sure
Knowing those fish were safe from those lures
Enjoying the beauty and the peace beneath
The cooling waters below the jetty
Ah it was a pleasure to swim to shore
I had a great time and what is more
Those fish were happy to have their fun
Just like everybody else under the sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment