Wednesday 4 February 2015

Swimming in the river Murray

I've been swimming in the River Murray
For the past ten days or so but 
Really I've swam there all my life
Yes: started many long years ago
As a kid we'd find our way to her banks
After working long hot summer days
It became a pleasant cooling off
We often played till sun went down
I swam across the mighty Murray
Right beside my brother and my dad
We were only youngsters then
But oh the great times we had!
Playing with the local kids
And all our family friends
Jumping in and having fun
Playing silly childish games
At Moorook and at Mundoo Flats!
I still recall the fishing trips
Mine and Martha's dad loved fishing to relax
We caught heaps of shrimp to use as bait
In an old dip tin tied onto a rope
My brother and I would explore
The island while we'd wait
Climbing over fallen trees and stuff
Then swim out to the tiny boat
Re-supplying our fisher dads

This week or so has brought me back
So many precious memories you see
Though times have been so very tough
It seems at last: I've found some release
From all the things that have held me back
Yes the river has been my special place
For so very many years I guess
But because I haven't lived that close
For many long, long years: I'd forgotten
And now this little holiday has opened up
A huge box of memories and tears
And though at first I was concerned
Was afraid to open up: now I know
It was all meant to be: meant to stir
Up those old thoughts: those memories
And I so very am happy to have found
My long lost friend; long lost thoughts 
Its like the river was saying  "welcome home"
"We've missed you...what took you so long?"







No comments:

Post a Comment