Friday 27 February 2015

Miss Jamaica

Met a lady in the Target store
We started talking that's for sure
Said she was from Jamaica
Michelle was her given name
Was so sad for she had no friends 
Felt so alone and forlorn: heart was torn
Left her family far behind her
Travelled here to Australia to live
Making a new life with her husband
Found the people here were snobs
Didn't care to understand her
(She'd worked as a policewoman back home
A respected pillar of her family and society)
Here: Ignored her: despised her: ostracised her!
What is the matter with some folks?
Why cant they just accept our differences
Look beneath the colour of our skin
Maybe understand we are all 
The same beneath our skin!
We all have beating hearts within
Our blood flows red when we bleed
Our systems function just like theirs
So why be mean? Why split hairs?
I gave her some understanding words
Said I understood: I heard
Gave her a copy of my poetry book
Gave her my phone number to boot
Said she'd send me an sms
But you know it's been weeks
Still haven't heard: I guess it's sad but true
Maybe she is rethinking her quick words
That's okay I really do not mind
It's just that friends are really hard to find
I was after all; just being kind!
Hope you are well Michelle from Jamaica!



No comments:

Post a Comment