Wednesday 4 February 2015

Pelican guardian

Last evening I went alone 
To take my daily swim
And though I knew I would be fine
There was a slight worry within
So as I started swimming 
I prayed for comforting
I asked my dearest angels 
To come along and be with me
I took off up river, as I always do
Against the current so to speak
And that pelican that I'd seen
Took off and came with me
As I looked up regularly
He was flying just ahead
Looking back as if to say
"How are you doing down there?"
So up we went along the shore
Swimming: I do hope: gracefully
I swam along and enjoyed the time
My whole body taking in
That oxygen: that blessed peace
I swam way past the usual place
I swam and swam some more
Totally enjoying the peace as
I gazed at the birds along the shore
Then it occurred to me: it was rather absurd
I'd scared all the ducks and water fowl
Out of the water you see
And now as I swam along I saw
That they were standing there
Staring back at me!
What could they be thinking?
Why were they so distressed?
I suppose they thought me rather strange
To be taking their place from them
We'd swapped places: them on the shore
And me: swimming in the murky water
Just like the local water hens!






No comments:

Post a Comment