Saturday 23 February 2013

1960's Comic Books



Back in the 1960’s we never had electronic games
No computers, no I-phones, no game boys
We played outside in the summer sun
We made forts and played chasey
We went exploring the local area
I had my almond tree; my space
We had no time to sit on our bums
We were so much more active
Walking was the general mode of transport
You rode a bike if you were lucky enough
The only things we had to spend money on
Were comic books of our heroes!
I remember Little Dot and her escapades
Especially the story with a tiny big -eyed creature
She fell in love with and took home!
She was always getting up to something fun
I still recall one where the fruiterer offered her
A free handful of cherries from his stall
She didn’t want to take some herself
Pretending to be shy; but really she
Was a little smartie
She knew she’d get more if he
Gave her a man-sized handful!
Baby Huey was another character!
His never-ending appetite caused
So many problems for his parents!
Then of course there were the Archie Comics
Betty and Veronica, Jughead and Reggie
I remember wondering why they called Veronica
By her nick name of Ronnie
To me she should have been called Connie!
It is only now that I realise I read it wrong
In my head she was Vericona
Oops I got that wrong; that’s for sure!
With Comic books we helped
To teach our parents to read
They were always reading them with us!
What a precious memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment