Tuesday 5 February 2013

Second hand rose



Just call me second-hand Rose
In all my second-hand clothes!

Just like in that musical
That’s me! I’m not ashamed!
Dear Nana showed me the joys
Of finding second-hand clothes
So many pre-loved items
With lots of life left in them
Not just that but think of our earth!
Don’t we take enough from her?
Never give any back!
We just keep on taking and taking
One day there will be no more!
Then what will we do?
We are spoilt rotten!
In the 1960’s I had 1 Barbie doll
1 baby doll, 1 doll with hair
Paper dolls with paper clothes
1 rusty old bike
That’s it! No more!
I had to help cut apricots during the summer
I had to help plant tomato plants
I had to help pick the ripened fruit
I had to help slash the tips off the grape vines
It was all part of life in the 1960’s
We walked the 2 miles to the local school
We had to because mum and dad
Had to go to work early!
We had an old Kerosene fridge
A wood stove to cook on
A metal bath tub to bathe in
(In front of that old wood stove)
We had a two roomed house
My dad built with his own hands!
There were no fancy things
Mum made our clothes
Only bought a few things new!
We survived on hand me downs
From our friends and family!
Those were happy days in the 1960’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment