Sunday 10 February 2013

The whirly pole

In primary school we had a whirly pole
A tall metal pole with 12 chains attached
Metal handles on the ends to hang on to!
We would all run around as fast as we could
To send the chains flying!
All of us swinging like monkeys
Having lots of fun in the sun!
Sometimes we'd do the super whirly
Where one person's chain 
Would over-lay all the others
Giving them a real flying ride
Around and around!
It was my turn one day
I flew well because I was little
Thank God I knew how to hang on tight!
I got my first nose bleed near that whirly pole as
Annette's feet whacked me on the nose
I was trying to run out from underneath
As she was doing her super flight!
Another time an older boy 
Gave me a lift and a good push
Sent me flying round and round
But What I remember most
Is that he touched me indecently
I still recall feeling numb and 
Closing my mind off; trying to cope
Feeling embarrassed and unable
To do anything as he groped me
Wishing I could just disappear
To some other good place
Anywhere but where I was right then!

No comments:

Post a Comment