Thursday 1 October 2015

Long way home

It's a long way home
The journey: sad
Memories of better days
Younger days I guess
Times have changed
Landscape too
Derelict buildings
Trees long dead
I am no longer young
The days fly by
Grey hairs and wrinkles
I carry with me
Thinking of old friends
Gone to their maker
A little sadness
As I ponder
Why am I still here?
Others gone
Childhood places
So hard to find
It's been over 50 years
Since I was a kid
Growing up in the Riverland
Fruit blocks and school yards
Channels for watering
Chasing friends for fun
Visiting with best friends
Grape picking and apricots
Orange trees blossoming
Swimming at Lake Bonney
And in the Murray too
Fishing with my dad
Shopping in Barmera
Watching dad play soccer
With his good friends
Playing netball
Driving to high school
In my old Hillman Hunter
Being a Prefect and House captain
Growing up in the country
Loving the fresh air
Leaving for the city
University in Adelaide
Working at Bertie's Pancake Factory
To make ends meet
Settling down in marriage
Children blessed our lives
Now they are in their prime
I in my decline
Yes time is passing
Has passed quickly it's true
But if I am honest
I wouldn't change a thing
Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment