Tuesday 10 December 2013

Family weddings

I've always loved going along to family weddings
I had three older male cousins who chose their girls
Two Julies there were & two were sisters too!
The oldest married a Julie when I was just twelve
I was bridesmaid for their special day: was amazed
I was such a skinny little thing I know: the dress was wow
I felt like a pretty little princess except for one thing
Julie would not pluck my errant brows: I cried I vow
"Please!" I begged her "mum won't mind!" Still she declined!
My second cousin married a Julie too: not long afterwards
I was just another part of the scenery: no major part for me
Then my youngest cousin married the second Julie's sister
I was 15 years old then: I remember the mini skirt I wore
Short as short can be that was the style back then
Had my hair done in a gorgeous up-do: looked older I ken
Than I even felt: wore my bridesmaid's shoes painted black
Felt so grown up I'm telling you: had a ball dancing too!
Quite a few years later on: my younger cousins married too
Anthony wed Mary after dad's illness: his aneurism was in 1993
I remember driving mum & dad to the reception: welcomed there
It was good to catch up with all the family: had my two girls by then
Vanessa & Shelley had fun with all the relatives there
A few years later Jim got married too: at Kingston-on-Murray
The girls were older: enjoyed catching up with their second cousins 
They had so much fun: I met up with my old school friend
Wendy knew my new cousin-in-law: basically lived right next door
Then when Peter got married a year later at Roseworthy
I'd lost some weight: felt really great: had a ball too!
Isn't it amazing how memories come flying back
Even after all of these years gone down the track!

No comments:

Post a Comment