Saturday 7 December 2013

The tennis game

I played a lot of tennis at Primary school
Enjoyed doing what the others did each day
Felt good at something I am happy to say
We had a match: Annette Gray and I
We played so hard: we really tried
All through that lunch time: I was winning
It was so very close: then the bell rang
We had to stop right there and then
Vowing we'd get to finish some other day
That time came at a later date
We played from where we'd left off
I did my very best but Annette won
I was very upset with myself: I must confess
Winning was very important to me then!
I said childishly: "That's not fair: I wasn't ready!"
Any old excuse to replay that final game
Isn't it so silly how we have to try so hard
To beat another one: to be number one
I just wanted to join in: to be like the other kids
Feeling accomplished at doing something well
I was never really very sporty so I guess
I tried to be like everyone else: just to fit in!

No comments:

Post a Comment