Tuesday 10 December 2013

Riverland regional sports day

I remember a massive inter-school sports day
Way back in 1969: I was in grade 7 I think
Every school in the whole Riverland got together
Congregated in Berri: so many students 
The Duke & Duchess of Kent opened proceedings
They were all dressed up & looking so fancy
I 'd never seen English Royalty before that's for sure!
We assembled down at the pumping station by the River
Yes the mighty River Murray was flowing strong
It felt like we were a massive army: children marching
Along the street to the football oval: largest arena around
I still remember going through those massive gates
They loomed so large overhead: so high above our heads
We gathered all around that massive oval: thousands
Yes thousands of children from the whole Riverland
When I mention this to my parents; they can't remember
They were working hard every single day: had to 
Labour with the sweat of their brows to feed us
That's what it was like: back in that long ago day!

No comments:

Post a Comment