Wednesday 11 December 2013

Ruby & garnet

My mum gave me her precious jewellery
Brought them all the way from Hungary
A simple signet ring with a tiny ruby
A pair of ear-rings of nine carat gold
One tiny ruby one tiny garnet in that gold
I had them in my tiny jewellery box: wore the ring
Saving them for when my daughters grew: mum
I just didn't realise how much they meant to you!
My little girl found them: had to try them on
Now I cannot find them: they are all long gone

Simple memories come flooding back to me
I feel so ashamed: for I guess I didn't see
Though they were not worth much financially
They were heirlooms that you'd saved for me
I am so sorry mum: I didn't think to save them
I never thought they would get lost you see
But now as I have a new grand-daughter 
I understand what you'd planned for me: they
Were to be passed on to my eldest daughter
Then to her eldest as time went on: but now
They are just tiny fragments in my memory!


No comments:

Post a Comment