Thursday 9 February 2012

Best friends

As a little girl I was so lonely
Only male cousins and boys in our group
But how my heart soared
When another little girl fell into that soup
I thank the dear Lord
For my best friend who came along
And saved me from losing myself
As I struggled to survive our tribe
Martha, you were and still are
So precious to me!
We were sisters and best friends
Through thick and thin
I know we fought a lot but
Then we'd make up again
Our visits together were
The best things in my life
I remember making grass houses
In between the grape vines
Dad's cover crop our cubby house
As we stomped the grasses down
We made heaps of rooms in our palaces
We pretended and laughed and played along
So very happily all the day long
Then when you went home again
I could hardly wait
Until it was time again to visit my best mate!
Oh how much it hurt when you went away
I felt so sad that you and your mum couldn't stay
How I missed you in those sad and lonely days
But knowing you'd be back kept my heart alive
I wanted you to come to my school at Moorook
But Kingston-on-Murray was closer on that map
So at least I got to see you on sports day!
Then when high school days came along
You moved again over that great River Murray!
I envied you your new friends over there
You were my best friend, not theirs!
I remember going over to Glossop High
And looking for you all that long sports day
But you had new friends by then
From among your classmates!
I tried to follow you around
To steal back some precious time
But I wasn't even wanted around!
Then when I could drive after sixteen years of age
We went to discos and had a screaming rage!
We pretended we were sisters to all we met
We had so much fun, you can bet!
Your dear dad let us drive his pale blue Charger
As we went and partied around the Riverland towns
Pretending our dad was the local cop!
We didn't really get into too much strife
We were happy to be out there sharing our life!
I still remember the night you met Garry
You didn't need me any longer
As you followed your heart!
I wanted him to go away; to leave you alone
You were mine and I didn't want to share!
But life goes on and I was left there alone
I was sad yet happy that you had found your love!
'Cause I was left alone again with out your bright light.
We wrote and showed off our babies
Years later on when I was married too
But you lived so far away, I only dreamt of you
When we were little girls so close and happy then
The memories they linger and keep me warm still!






No comments:

Post a Comment