Sunday 5 February 2012

Combing the Snakes from her hair

The Cherokee have an expression
About how to relieve the mind
Of worry, fear or anger or
Of possession by demons!
How we all do something that is
As unconscious as twisting our hair.
When we think on things so deep
Like those who rip their nails off
To find that way to cope or have to have
A cigarette, beer, maybe even drugs
To help us through our fear
To help us so to cope!


I see the similarity in both my spouse 
And my eldest one as they sit.
You can see their minds at work
View all their cogs and gears
As they comb those ugly, awful
Snakes from their hair!
You can see the determination
As their hands move back and forth
(Of their own volition) as they pull and tear
At those awful snakes in their hair!


I reminisce and remember
What I did to make it through
I'd pick my scabs or sores
Just like I'd seen my daddy too
I used to have these pimples
(The scars are there still!)
My face and chin would suffer greatly
For what was bubbling within!
Finally I must admit I still do stress a bit
What human being does not?


And now its something worse I do
As I tear at my flesh
It's as if that pain will numb my fears
And remove the things I dread
That something that we all do
When the stress rises a bit
Be it nails or hair or scabs that suffer
For our terror fits!



No comments:

Post a Comment