Saturday 4 February 2012

Distance in the dark

We lay beside each other
No words to pave the way
You feel a world away from me
I am awash with shame


I'm sorry for what I've done
I'm sorry for my pride
I had no right to take it
No joy for me inside


How could I not be angry?
How could I not be sad?
I thought we could survive this
Distance between us we have made


We thought we were immortal
Unable to be hurt
Our youth our poor protection
Our minds we so clumsily girt


How could we do it?
How could we survive?
We placed that world between us
We suffered for our pride


What made us take for granted?
Our love for each other turned aside
We chose to make that money
The evil we let inside


How could we expect to love?
Each other in the end?
When taking all for given
How know we were not living!


Sin enters like a pin prick
Spreads like roots of oak
When we ourselves down-graded
We allowed our souls in evil to soak


How dirty and disgusting
How stupid in our pride
We thought we could fight it
But soon our love it died!


The evil one does tempt us
A little more each time
Just a bit further, just a tiny step
But deeper into that cavern we do slide


Something so pure and beautiful
As the love we once shared
We'd dragged it so low
How could we still be saved?



No comments:

Post a Comment