Thursday 16 February 2012

Start walking now!

Long years ago upon a hot dry summer's day
My dear little girl just wanted to have some fun and play
So we were dropped at Gooper's place
(That's Playgroup to you all)
We had three hours to wait 'til we'd be done
We'd planned to go and have some fun
But silly me; all unknowing my mistake
There was no Gooper's place that day
School holidays there were in place
So off we'd gone; not properly equipped
To stay and while away the day at play
Until the sun; ferociously it soared
Higher and higher into that hot, hot sky
No mobile phones back then; no use to call
Though telephone box there was
No-one was home to take our call
As it was the Barossa where daddy had gone
With uncle George in tow that day!
We wandered back and forth until
I was getting so upset
But kept my worries to myself
Not wanting my little child to fret.
What would I do? I thought and thought again!
Should we begin to walk for home?
Or should we stay amid the cooling shade?
In the little park there beside the road!
Was it a safe place to claim?
Then we were beside that phone box again
And hotter it was still!
When urgent voice inside my head 
"Start walking now!" it said
What was I to do but listen to that strength within?
And shortly as we left the town behind
A car stopped and then
We thankfully accepted that cooling ride
To take us home again!
Two young boys with their father in this car
Were happy to accommodate our needs
We travelled upon that road so very far on foot
And as he dropped us at our gate
But minutes later on
This had been our wonderful conversation:
He'd taken the other road
Than usually he would take
To travel to his mother's place
On the River Murray's bend
Didn't know why? But to this side
Of the river he did make his way!
So watching over me and my little girl that day
God's angels knew before we did
That all was going to be okay!
Thank You Lord for guiding me
And that lovely young family! 
You helped us both safely home
On that very hot day; in Cambrai!



No comments:

Post a Comment