Saturday 4 February 2012

A mother's prayer

Dear Lord please keep them safe!
I tried to do my best for them
I tried to lead the way
I sowed my wild oats when I was young
Why should I deny them the same play?
But Lord you were with me then
As you are so now!
How to keep them safe when off they go?
Into that world so bright
How do I step back a pace or ten?
What then? Do I worry all the time?
I didn't drink that alcoholic drug
Just tried the alcoholic stuff
A few times until it made me sick!
Then left it by the wayside
No more of that for me!
Nor smoke that awful cigarette
Just one I ever had
Enough to make me sick!
But will they be as strong as I? 
When they meet their mates?
Will they simply just forget?
Ignore my urgent words
Saying It won't happen to me!
Dear Lord I cannot live my life
Dwelling on my regrets
So how can I in conscience true
Expect them to be what I was not
I did those silly stupid things
That I'm not proud of too
I raced around the back streets
Too fast to be really safe
I scared my self a few times
My parents never knew
What my friends and I got up to
So why should I expect my kids to be
Any different than me!
I went out to paint the town 
I let my brother down
I was having too much fun
At the disco in Berri 
To go and pick him up
From that engagement party!
I'm really sorry brother
But instead of doing what was right
I got myself into strife!
How was I know that giving in to our desire?
Would lead to my own teen pregnancy!
The first time ever I made love
What a laugh? We just had sex!
In the car, on a dark street
After a long enjoyable night of fun
How was I to know that I would be one?
Just like the others at my high school
Now I would pay the price!
For sacrificing my virginity
For one dark minute of lust
It wasn't at all as I expected!
It wasn't at all like in the books
It was nothing like I imagined!
No shooting stars, no hearts afloat!
No wondrous magic!
Rather it turned into something really tragic!
Almost 17, pregnant after my first time!
Not such a hoot!
My mum did all the washing
She kept and eye out for the clues
She asked me why I wasn't bleeding?
I had to tell the truth!
Who was it? When and where?
My answer was so quiet
He's gone back to another state
To NSW, He'd wanted me to go
Somehow he knew how it would be
Said he I've made other girls pregnant
Come away with me!


Thank God I didn't listen
And leave my family behind
How would I have made my way?
In some strange place so far away?
So I stayed and tried to hide my fears
Tried to carry on as usual
Though terrified I was!
Couldn't face my mum or tell the truth
My shame it kept me silent
How could I have let them down?
My parents loved me so!
Oh how stupid I was then
To keep it to myself
Did I really think it would just go away?
Was I that ignorant?
Yes! I was! I must admit!
Thinking if I ignored my state
It would not exist at all
Boy was I a stupid twit!
Though goldfish not in fact
I was in my own world of denial
I was right off the track!
Mum was angry: no denying!
She had the right to be so!
I had been so selfish and ignorant
Didn't think it would happen to me
So to fix the problem she took charge
Did I want her help? Of course! But I couldn't ask!
When she gathered a Fathen root
Cleaned it of its finer bits, washed it
And brought it to me!
This I was to insert inside
To open up my womb so wide
To allow that innocent to depart!
I missed a whole week of school
The pain was strong and clenching
And after this week of pain and toil
My womb was empty, gut wrenching!
Though exhausted and weak a bit
I was so relieved and out of it
I was hardly even remorseful
But still a child I was reprieved
Wanted to go along my merry way
My mum was held to ransom!
She'd promised not to tell my dad
So in my sinful, rude, ungrateful way
I just wanted to go out to play!
I'm so sorry mum! For being that bad
I'm ashamed to have treated you that way!
Please forgive me!

No comments:

Post a Comment