Thursday 16 February 2012

Loneliness

Loneliness thy name is childhood
I got to know you/me very well
I played with you/me in days of old
You were my shadow
You took my hand and led me
You ever were my friend
You were mine and then I left you 
To find another to keep me company
I'm sorry that I left you there
Beside that road so deeply rutted
The miry way my little legs had trod
Together we climbed that old almond tree
We played and loved those swaying limbs
They were my friends, they touched and soothed
They greeted me with summers days
Together we did spend in imagined bliss
Alone and yet not so; we laughed
My precious youth with you together
We'd while away the hours and sunshine
Summer holidays were best
We swam and frisked in Great Murray's water
Or Lake Bonney's shallow swimming pool
Though we grew cold we would not leave
Our lips turned blue yet we still stayed
No amount of teeth-chattering would convince us
To leave your calm waters!



No comments:

Post a Comment