Wednesday 7 March 2012

Always in a hurry

Ever since I was a little girl
I've always been in a hurry
Never wanted to miss a thing
Just wanted to be there to see it all
Always fell and scraped my knees
Always the first to climb the trees
Up there I could see the world
Up there I was invincible!
There used to be a massive tree
Across the road from our school
My brother was best friends
With Neil; whose family owned
That marvellous mulberry tree!
I remember climbing up so high
You could almost touch the sky!
We'd end up covered in juice
We were purple kids of course!
We climbed and ate and
Ate and climbed
Until we were so covered
Thet you wouldn't recognise us!
That was so much fun in summer time
When the leaves were green
The sun was shining
And life was good in the sixties!

We lived out back of Moorook
The school was a couple of miles away
We had to walk there every day
We'd sometimes visit friends after school and
As we walked along the irrigation channels
We'd look for little snakes
And yabbies under the rocks!
There were copperheads
And diamondheads
We disturbed their quiet slumbers
We'd poke the rocks with long, long sticks
So we'd not get bitten!
As we slowly headed home
I often wished we'd lived a little closer!

I remember one day
When homeward bound
The rain began to splatter
I was put on Stephen's bike
And sent down the little hillside
I pedalled like mad and kept my seat
Until I reached the corner
And there I lost my pace
I ended up a goner!
I left the bike and ran for home
To escape that sudden downpour!

What memories still linger here?]
In my memory's dark corners!

No comments:

Post a Comment