Tuesday 13 March 2012

Faith Moves

While travelling home one day I was too tired to even contemplate
Getting home to cook a meal for dinner: so as I stopped at the takeaway
I knew I was onto a real winner! After ordering and as I relaxed
My mind was drifting off: thus enjoying my thoughts
With scents and delicious smells of food around me! 
Another diner across from me was obviously enjoying his food
The aroma of his burger meal wafted over and I felt compelled to comment
"That smells good!" Somehow the conversation continued
And we talked about the day: he'd walked from Lyndoch after work
A promise to repay his mate the $50 loaned the week ago
His word outweighed the distance: here he was, having spent his wage
No money left, no car to drive: a long, long walk ahead to get him home.
We talked a bit; The Lord could see his need! So I offered to get him there
Whilst remembering my own such need from many long years ago!
So off we went towards Lyndoch! We talked a bit and when 
He said "Not this little black duck!" I knew we thought the same!
So often has that very quote been my own refrain!
It only took about fifteen minutes to drive that distance while
If he'd walked it; he'd still be on his way!
He talked of his car accident, the scars: his is loss of self-esteem, his pain
The depression that followed it: then the worst of all!
The separation from his wife and thus the distance from his dear young son
The regrets; the sorrow and the love: that was what held him there!
So lonely and depressed was he: he'd even been so low
He'd contemplated using the tree: right out of his front gate!
'Twas calling out to him you see! 
As chef he'd trained, but no desire for such a job was there
His injuries had ended that and now the loss of his second car
It crashed while with his mates inside! 
Now desolate, alone at last: he'd felt he'd lost his way
Until I'd come along: sent by our dearest Lord
To be the glimpse of sunshine bright!
All I could do was listen and commiserate and say that it would soon improve
How could I aid this man, but understand and say how important it was to have
The love of his dear little son: so important it was to him also!
Now our money was tight but I had found a couple of good specials
My own son's  favourite food: of these I gave a few to him
To help him through the week: the pasta he had declined
Having no desire to cook for himself alone
The simple easy stuff would do for him he said!


As I dropped him off at his rented home
Beside the butcher shop on Lyndoch's quiet street
I was thinking of how I could do something more to help him to make it easier that week
So as we shook hands and said goodbye: he leaned down to give me a hug
His 6'4" frame so tall beside my tiny 5' frame: his smile was wide as he left me standing there!
The very next day; a Sabbath day: off to church I went
Organised a parcel of food: knowing the ten dollars he'd offered me 
For fuel the day before would never buy enough to feed his giant frame!
And as I 'd said that other day: I'd rather he pass the good deed forward
Should chance happen he be the lucky one
To be able to aid someone else along the rocky road of life!


After lunch that Sabbath day: dear Simon I roped in
Explaining as he might be in need of further counselling
Maybe he would talk a while of his fears and stress and of 
That great big tree that called to him when depression reared its ugly head!


So Proud was I of my marvellous helpful self
Taking the credit as my due: too proud to realize my mistake
The dear Lord showed me how: it was His work that was being done!
As flat in my face I fell (pride really does go before a fall!)
'Twas God who led me thus: what right had I to gloat?
The thanks entirely due only to my dear wise Lord
None of this did I deserve!
So thank you Lord for tripping me before my pride could grow
I was just your instrument: no thanks to me were due!

No comments:

Post a Comment