Tuesday 13 March 2012

Remember when...If Kermit wasn't happy, what chance have I got?

Remember when Kermit sang
"It's not easy being green!"
Well you know what?
It's not easy being any other shade either!
Or even being in between!
It's not easy being Teen
Or 'Tween or even grown up!
'Cause it's still hard to find somewhere
To fit in! To be comfortable!
To be even mildly normal!
What is normal any way?
Who is this Norm?
What does he/she look like?
Is he short or tall?
Fat or thin?
Where does he/she fit in?
Is he coloured some odd shade?
Does he make the grade?
Or does he feel left out?
Lie Kermit? Like me?
Like so many of us supposedly 
Normal human beings?
Does he feel threatened?
When he walks down the street?
Does he feel people staring?
Behind his back and then?
When he turns around
Are there smiles on their dials?
Or just sullen looks and glares?
That shake your faith?
That make you quake within your boots?
That make you feel even a little
Out of place!
Do you have the face that everyone loves?
Are you the popular one?
Who knows what just to say?
The one who makes them laugh?
So they forget their silly games?
The teasing and the pranks!
Are you the one who makes the most?
Friends where 'ere they dwell
Or are you the one who wishes
They could sink into a deep, deep well?
Does despair make you feel so bad?
It doesn't seem worth the wait?
Do you feel miserable?
Because of someone's hate?
Then I recall Kermit's cute song
About imagining that you
Were someone else instead?
Like a captain of a massive ship?
Like a fantasy character in a great book?
A fairy tale wizard who could see
Those others sneaking up on me?
Yes, I'd like to someone else
Some days I don't like me at all!
Some days It's worse that ever before!
Some days I'd like to fall and fall!
Into another world where everyone was nice
Where there was no hatred, no anger!
And no vice!
A place of eternal happiness!
Of lifelong joy instead!
These fantasies go swirling round
In my poor head!
Yes. I'd like to be thin and pretty again!
I'd like to be just like me
But the happier, smarter version
Not this one here with me
Picture; the smarter, taller, better me!
The one who is strong enough!
To face the world ahead! 
The one who is respected!
And who lives a life of joy!
The one who is the happy one!
No matter what will be!
Are there silly smiles upon their dials?









No comments:

Post a Comment