Monday 27 April 2015

Dangerous seas

The old boat sat in harbour
Waiting for the day
When she would be sea worthy
When she could return to sea
We clambered aboard her hulk
In port we felt at ease
But I could not imagine sailing out
No: not into dangerous seas...
He thought to make a journey
Taking along his young family
Wanted us to come too
To sail the seven seas
My young girls, hubby and me
But after thinking for just a minute
After checking out the safety
I said: "No way am I risking
My children, my family
Out, on the briny sea!"
So they went aboard for their adventure
We said bye and "take care"
Thankful that we wouldn't be going
On that adventure out to sea...
We heard upon the air waves
A storm came to drench them all
A squall to rival many others
As they sailed close to Kangaroo Island
Out past Cape Jervis upon the stormy sea
Mum and children down below
Dad and his first mate above
Trying desperately to save her sinking hull
Bailing with buckets when the motor failed
As that poor old boat was tossed around
As she heaved and tried to sail
The helicopter could not reach them 
Neither the coast guard: though they tried
I remember Tim's long drive to Cape Jervis 
To rescue that young family
As they finally arrived on land again
And thanked dear God for saving them
As they were almost lost forever 
Upon those dangerous seas

The  "Valetta" she was called





No comments:

Post a Comment