Wednesday 15 April 2015

The Telegram

It must have been in January
Back in 1989 at Kingston-on-Murray
The telegram came from Hungary
It was bad news: my grandmother had died
I still remember the first few words
Translated: "Your sweet mother has passed away" 
I remember mum's face as she read those words
Her mother was gone from us: my grandmother
Never to be seen again: gone to God
I never knew her very well: after all  
She had only came to Australia for 3 months
I never did go to Hungary: was born here
So all I remember is that short time together
When Hughie was a baby: I was married
But had no children of my own
We took many photographs to remember
We spent as much time as we could
But 3 months is never long enough
To truly get to know each other
I carry her within my heart...
We are ever of one blood...

No comments:

Post a Comment