Sunday 26 April 2015

Brother John

I was at the funeral
Everyone was sad
We gathered round
The hearses to say 
Goodbye to our friends
Rest in peace...
With the Lord...
See you....
Many years from now...

I saw a man walking
Toward me in the sun
It took a while to recognise
That face, that sad smile...
After all it was his elder brother 
That was now gone...

I turned around 
To grasp your hand
To pull you forward too
Thinking to say
"Look, it is Brother John!"
But it was to no avail
For you were not there
No longer beside me
Gone to God yourself
in the grave...
These many months...

We talked of our beginnings
We talked of everything
Of all those Bible studies
Of all those blessed days
When we were all together
Talking, studying, listening...

Though we are older now
Many years have passed
Still he recalled our meeting
The very first time we met
John was "door knocking"
Spreading God's blessed word
Seeking to save all comers
As he did his Bible work

I remember vividly that day
Just like it was yesterday
We lived at 33 Burton Rd
In beautiful Athelstone
I went that knock to answer
I went to turn him away
For you see this is the blessing 
That God sent to me that day...

Normally, Tim would say
"Please come inside"
But this day he said otherwise
He said: "No, not interested...
Tell them to go away!"
But I: to my own surprise 
Said to Brother John
"Please come inside!"
I had a towel coiled upon my head
I had just washed my hair
John remembered perfectly
Even after all these years...

Thus began my relationship
With my dearest Lord...
As we studied the scriptures
For many months and years 
Afterwards
Finally it led to my baptism...
On the 19th of December 1987








No comments:

Post a Comment