Tuesday 19 March 2013

Vine ripened fruit

Growing up on a fruit block in the Riverland
I must say I was spoilt because 
There is no better way to eat fruit
Than that which is vine ripened
There is nothing more wonderful
Than stepping outside your back door
Walking a few steps and 
Plucking a perfectly ripened piece of fruit
Straight from the tree upon which it grew!
I know! I did this for many years!
I was spoilt because when I moved to
The city of Adelaide it was never the same
The fruits were picked too early
They had to be picked half green
To survive transport without bruising
For sale in the city markets!
Picking oranges, apricots, peaches
Nectarines, mandarins, plums
All sorts of beautiful fruit; straight from the tree
Just as our dear Lord wishes to do with us!
We will never grow sweet enough
Without our dear Lord giving us 
Of His perfect love and strength and guidance
Without Him we will taste just like
That un-ripened fruit picked too early
Sour to the taste; a heavy meal for our bellies!

"Abide in me" John 15:4

No comments:

Post a Comment